Skip to main content

How do mums know everything?

I always said I never wanted children, this was mainly due to the fact that we didn't think we could have any so it was easier to tell people I didn't want them just so that I didn't have to explain problems and I certainly didn't want people to feel sorry for me!

I always thought that I was too selfish to have children, how could I look after someone that needed my undivided attention and more importantly how would I know what to do? My mum knew everything, she had all the answers! I knew nothing! I even started to think that it must just be programmed into you that when you became a mum all of the answers would just be there, well as I found out, I don't know everything but I can certainly make a lot of it up as i go along!

How do we just magically know what to say to children to make them feel better, where does the 'magic fairy dust' come from to make that naughty pain go away? We know just the right songs to make those tears dry up and see their faces light up when we say Mr Teddy wants to come to the picnic. In the middle of the night when they can't sleep and just need a cuddle and they feel better again. How about when you are going for a walk but the walk turns into an adventure and you are looking for treasure, how do we makes stones seem exciting - I have no idea but it somehow works!

I would never have imagined that I would be happily sitting playing picnics at 5o'clock in the morning when I would usually just be crawling in from a night out; the scary thing is I wouldn't change it for the world. I honestly wouldn't. I absolutely totally and utterly adore every second.

I think a lot of people expected me to be round at my mums all of the time and going out for nights every week, not that there is anything wrong with that at all - but I am quite happy in our own little world, I would rather be playing with Tillie all day then getting a good night sleep ready for the next day of fun, plus I have no idea how people manage to look after a baby with a hangover, I just couldn't! Don't get me wrong, I do think that it is important to go out together and let your hair down, but I would just prefer not to, maybe this is because of running the pub and seeing people all the time, it is nice to just sit upstairs and relax.

I am waiting for the time when Tillie asks me a question that I don't know the answer to, at the minute when she asks where the moon has gone, it has of course 'gone to bed', when she asks to go to the park at 6am the 'swings are sleeping', it is very cute when we go later and she says "morning swings" I can get away with this at the minute, I don't fancy my chances when she gets older and asks me more complicated things!

Even now if my mum tells me something I believe her, see even though i am 26, I am sure I saw Santa in the sky when I was 8 years old, mum still tells me that i did! I still think if my mum tells me something it must be true.

We make things sounds magical and adventurous, so I guess in a way as long as our children believe us that's all that matters, I suppose to them we do know everything and always will! (Until they become a teenager!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Your baby has Laryngomalacia"!!!????

I will explain a little about my labour, maybe a detailed explanation might go up in the future but lets put it like this, it was not nice and after suffering from an Irritable Uterus throughout my pregnancy followed by a 42 hour labour and a scary ending but I got the beautiful Tillie Bean so was worth every second! Basically the cord was wrapped around her neck twice and right round her body. She had the hiccups so much during pregnancy and I am wondering if this does have a connection to the problem which was about to be revealed! I remember a few nights after Tillie was born hearing a strange noises when she was breathing, I had to stay in hospital for a few nights as I needed a blood transfusion, I buzzed the nurse to check about her breathing but was told 'it is just mucous on her lungs it is very common it won't last long'. Even as a new mum I thought that this wasn't the case, but who was I to argue. This 'mucous' was getting louder and louder and by

From an outsiders point of view

We were in our local town centre; there is a new retail park where there are a few water features. The parking is reasonable and you can buy pretty much get everything you need which makes life so much easier! There is even a couple of coffee bars which serve yummy cakes so we often sneak in there when tots is asleep (due to her being allergic to egg, we can only eat cake when she is asleep otherwise she cannot understand why she isn't allowed any and I would never let her watch me eating it bless her) Tillie had been asleep and we managed to sneak a coffee and cake in before she woke up, the coffee bar we were in was right opposite the water feature, there is a wall around for people to sit on and the feature is like a few water sprinklers which go on and off. When tots woke up I got her out of the pushchair ad let her have a run around, she was giggling and I was swinging her as I normally do, I then let her walk along the wall and she sat herself down and I was singing a song

Staying together for the sake of the children

I saw this was the topic on This Morning, new research shows that if your child suffers from some sort of psychological problem they 'grow up to earn as much as 30 per cent less in their lifetime than those who hadn't suffered any problems' such as parents’ divorce. I always find this interesting as I have met a few people in the past whose family had an amicable break up yet they still seem to use their parents break up as an excuse not to work or succeed in life, when in fact they use it for attention and to cover up the fact they are just a little bit lazy. I was a recruitment consultant and believe it or not a number of candidates used their parents break ups as the reason they didn't work! Please note that I did say amicable break up, I understand that if a child has had a particularly hard upbringing then it could affect them in the future. I was bought up just by my mum and I wouldn't have changed it for the world, I really can honestly say I had a very